After TA-ing for Introduction to Computing I realized several important facts regarding the current LC3 simulator:
- It has a crappy UI riddled with bugs
- It sucks even more when automating grading
- Students gain no direct exposure to powerful text editors (Vim, emacs, sublime...)
- There is no obvious reason to use the command line simulator
- And related, there is no good unit testing framework **GASP**
In fact, the built in debugger (generally used for grading) only allows absolute-addressable memory accesses. This makes grading assignments like sort, where some students implement stable sorting and other unstable sorting, a real pain in the posterior.